Saturday, August 26, 2006

PEDRO MENDES STATEMENT

PEDRO MENDES STATEMENT


Portsmouth Football Club have issued the following statement on behalf of Pedro Mendes:

"Following the incident during the game at Man City on Wednesday night, I can confirm that I will not be taking any personal action against Ben Thatcher. I have received a written apology from him. As far as I am concerned the personal matter between us is now closed and I just want to fully recover and move on.

"However, I am aware that the FA have charged the player for the nature of the challenge and I really hope that they will make the right decision on his punishment. I only saw the TV replays on Thursday night and was shocked by what I saw. I think football's governing bodies need to do everything within their power to ensure that this kind of foul play is eradicated from football. That kind of behaviour is just not acceptable and I leave it in the hands of the rulers of the game to act appropriately.

"I am still undergoing scans and tests as a result of the collision and am not sure at this stage when I will be given the green light by my neurologist to return to training. I am hopeful I will not be kept out of action for too long although I will not be 100% sure of this until the results of all the tests are known.

"I was told that Portsmouth Football Club have been inundated with messages of support and concern over the past few days, not just from our fantastic Pompey supporters, but also from Manchester City fans and neutral football supporters across the country. I have been really touched by that and would like to thank everyone who has contacted the club to pass on their thoughts. I would also like to thank Pompey's medical team who took care of me on Wednesday night, as well as the medical staff both at Man City and the Manchester Royal Infirmary. I also want to thank my teammates and everyone at the club for their tremendous warm support and all my friends and family who have constantly been calling and will always be in my heart.

"The focus for Pompey is now on our next game at Middlesbrough on Monday. I was probably one of the last to find out that we had in fact earned a valuable point in Manchester during the week and although it is early in the season, we are in a great position and we must carry on the good work to keep the momentum going."

Taken from pompeyfc.co.uk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home